Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Post #2

I'm sitting in bed and don't want to actually get up and get ready, so I figured I'd update this thing instead. See? Procrastination isn't just for school.

I've decided that my film has become some kind of monster that I don't even recognize anymore. I'm not excited about it at all, and the plot is so far away from what I originally intended (way before even my first animatic) that I don't think I could bring myself to start animating it even if I tried.

The solution to this issue is to scrap it all and start over. I'm keeping the characters and the zombie western stuff, but that's about it. I don't know what I'm going to do yet, because I'm currently being really critical of all my ideas so I don't end up wanting to switch plots again later on; I know how much trouble that causes.

So basically, it's back to the drawing board. My goal is to have the new story fleshed out by the end of this month so I can bust out a quickie animatic early June and then receive some feedback before I start animating. Sounds like a plan to me.

6 comments:

shawn said...

A lot of our thesis stuff changed dramatically as the year went on. Get started on whatever you think you can keep, if only to get something animated. Or start on some animation tests. Sometimes working on animating the characters gets you more familiar with where you want everything to go.

Victor said...

Yeah, what Shawn said.

I feel like deep-down somewhere, you know what you like best about the original treatment, before all of us screwed it up with our incessant "you know what would be cool..." malarkey.

Take that, and run with it.

Ignore us trolls. We were in basement for far too long... brain mush.

Carder said...

The problem with you trolls is that I respect your opinions too much. Keep feeding me your malarkey. I can weed out the stuff I don't like.

Sheila said...

Please, please, please, please do not start over!!! You worked hard to develop and excellent animatic. It WORKS! You are doubting yourself. I think, like Shawn said, that you just need to start animating. Time slips away- you will ALWAYS wish you had more time. The sooner you start working on it the better. Honestly, the narrative works well. All of the faculty were impressed.

Daniela said...

I think one of the biggest changes you've made to the original story was letting the barkeeper live. I have a feeling you really wanted her to die - and I see the black humor value in that (really). It actually makes the cowboy a much bigger looser. Plus it's not tragic because she returns as an even angrier zombie. Oh - if she dies, I think it may be good to show that he will die too (surrounded by zombies and no place to go maybe?)

Victor is right - why not see what parts you loved in the first animatic and be inspired by that(the flashback,the damsel climbing out of the grave - all that goodness)

huh, its so early in your part of the globe...I'm writing from the future...

Victor said...

While I don't think starting animation on your film proper is a good idea per se. Especially if you're not feeling it. But I don't think you should go back to square one either.

Shawns advice to do some tests might take your mind off your story quabbles long enough to kind of make peace / slog through it all.

Now hand over the controller dammit.